Friday, January 18, 2013

Speed Channel BJ2013 Fantasy Bid FAIL



It never ceases to amaze me.  You can have a multimillion dollar media company with production resources second to none and they'll still cheap out on the IT department.  Case in point, the 2013 Speed Channel Fantasy Bid webpage for the Barrett-Jackson auction coverage. 

Now I know it's just a webpage but it's one of the primary promotional vehicles (pardon the pun) for Speed's auction coverage.  They've offered the online fantasy bid for most of the past decade so you'd expect they'd have all the wrinkles out by now.  At least you'd think so...
 
It seems this year something's gone wrong.  In prior years 10s of thousands of fantasy bids from auction fans were handled without incident.  This year during the Thursday and Friday broadcast the system frequently failed with a fraction of that number.  Friday and Saturday are high viewership days but the problem started almost immediately upon the start of the Fantasy Bids on Thursday. 

If it were just a vanity contest it wouldn't be a big deal but the Hagerty Fantasy bid offers multiple tiers of prize offerings with a grand prize of a new Shelby Mustang.  That makes it a contest which suddenly makes easy participation paramount.  Considering you're forced to opt-in to sales communications to play there is an effective transaction of sorts.  That means players have the right to expect to access to the game in exchange for extra spam in their inbox.  An expectation not met acknowledged by a popup once I was finally able to log in on Friday.

Remember, I'm an IT guy so I have some idea about web servers and capacity planning.  That said, my assessment is that they've either outsourced the back end processing for the game or they've made a major change that nobody bothered to load test.

Either way it smacks of poor planning, inadequate resources and incompetent IT personnel.  Which is exactly the results you can expect when you go with the lowest bidder.  Results not price is the real definition of a good value in anything. 

For 2013 is appears Speed is getting exactly what it's paid for.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it amazing that they apparently didn't test the system prior to going live. Back when I was managing aerospace programs I would have been fired for making an obvious error such as this.

Digital Dynamic said...

Amen to that. Good thing these guys don't work for NASA.

Anonymous said...

Actually this is the second MAJOR fail in three years of the Fantasy bid. I've played for four or five years and the first several had no issue at all. In 2011 they had issues just as bad as this year that were resolved in 2012 which ran flawlessly. Now in 2013 they screw up the thing that worked once again.

The television telecast is a joke - they are really soft-playing the crash this time even as it is in some ways worse than 2011's issues. You would have figured that they would have learned from that fiasco, but it is apparent this was not ready for prime time.

Digital Dynamic said...

Yeah, I gave up on it in 2011 for similar issues but I didn't remember it being this awful. I don't remember them apologizing for it in 2012 so it must have been better.

Either way, this isn't their first trip to the rodeo and this kind of thing should be far behind them by now.

Aarpdlnkqnt said...

It really roiled my usually easy self. First time for me to play and I've had nothing but despair and aggravation. What chapped me today was, at the beginning of today's broadcast Bob Varsha said something to the fact the even though Speed, Ford & Hagerty sponsored the event they weren't responsible for the problems. On one of my many, railing tweets, I told them that's like saying your wife is married but you're not. It is total incompetence. How Barrett-Jackson could have their name besmirched with such is beyond me.

Digital Dynamic said...

The last day the page didn't even update anymore. I suppose the guys who played on smartphones did ok. Two different browsers, cleared cache and never saw a page update nor was I able to bid.

This game is rigged folks and it reflects badly on Barrett Jackson's involvement with Speed. Speed channel's a lost cause since the Fox acquisition but I never thought they'd stoop so low. BJ coverage pretty much made Speed channel and was the first thing I ever watched on Speed a decade ago. Long before Fox and the boredeom of 24/7 Nascar, F1 and MotoGP. USed to be a lot more how to shows on too. Now it's just a channel full of background noise.

In short, Speed is just another BS Fox property now. I hope it gets sold off.